Saturday, June 04, 2005

Game Night

Well, as I said, my church had a game night last night. We went, all except mom, because she was working, but me, AJ, and Dad went. It was fun.

Oh, by the way, I'm kind of in a haze right now (I don't really know why, I got plenty of sleep), so if I don't make sense, that's why.

Okay. Back to business. We got there at about five after six, and the Vanderbyls (who are the people who lead our church; it's a house church) were out playing pig on the driveway. If you don't know what pig is, it's a basketball game where you shoot, and if you make the shot, the next person has to make it, and if they miss it they get a letter, and when you get p-i-g then you're out. So they were playing that, so I joined in, and later AJ and Dad came out to play too. At that point we started playing Around the World, which is where you move around shooting a basketball, and whoever gets all the way around the court (or driveway) first wins. It's more interesting than I make it sound, but hey. Like I said, I'm in a haze.

So we were playing Around the World, and I was doing awfully, as I usually do with basketball. Then, all of a sudden, I hit like 5 or 6 shots in a row, and I was tied for second, I was so excited . . . and then it was time to eat, so we never finished the game >:-O

For dinner we had burgers and hot dogs (I had burgers, of course) and chips and chile and some form of green bean thing which I declined to eat. Then we went outside to play basketball again, and we started playing a regular game of basketball. My team was winning, when four or five new people came to play, and we had to start over. It was the most confusing game I've ever played, we had 16 people instead of the usual ten. The hardest part of the game was remembering who your teammates were. It was really funny, for like three or four plays in a row, one guy threw it to the same girl, and she was on the opposite team. Which was my team. It was awesome.

My team was winning the whole game, then all of a sudden Josh scored a two-pointer (we went by ones, so a three-pointer became a two-pointer), tying it. Then the women called out that it was time for dessert and celebrating birthdays (we celebrate each month's birthdays at game nights, we have them the first Friday of every month). So, since it was tied (it was tied at 12), we decided that the next score would win. My team started out with the ball, Rebecca had it first . . . she passed it into the center of the court where like ten people dove to catch it, and Ben (my team's leading scorer) caught it and shot . . . he missed . . . Brian came down with the rebound, and after a scuffle, it ended up in the other team's hands. It was taken back (we were playing half-court, come on, it was a driveway), then thrown to Josh (their team's leading scorer). He charged in and threw it up . . . he missed. He jumped up, caught it again, shot it again, missed again . . . he jumped up, caught it AGAIN, shot it AGAIN, and . . . . scored. They won. *sob*

So then we went inside and had dessert and talked for a while, then all the young people went to swing on the "swing of doom," which was basically a piece of wood (about two inches thick and tall) tied to one rope. Tied to a really tall tree. So eventually they convinced me to get on, and Josh pushed me, and I went up really really high . . . which would've been great, except for my terrible fear of heights. And Josh kept pushing me and I went higher and higher . . . and I was yelling things like "don't you dare push me again" and then he'd do it again. It was quite nervewracking, since all I had to secure me was my hands holding on to one rope. So everyone was making fun of me since I was so freaked out (good-natured fun, nothing that offended me), and finally Josh had mercy on me and stopped me. Which was really funny, because I was going so fast that he caught me and the swing to stop it, and he came very close to falling over. Then Rebecca went on (or maybe it was Christina, I don't remember), and her first swing her feet came like two inches from kicking someone in the face (I can't remember who it was). So then she kept swinging higher and higher, but once she started to come back down she nearly hit Jordan in the face, so he had to dive onto the ground to dodge.

After everyone had had a turn on the Swing of Doom, we decided to play Sardines (which is Hide-and-go-seek except that one person hides and everyone else seeks, and whenever one of the seekers finds the hider, they have to hide with them, and whoever is the last person to be searching loses). We played one round of that (I didn't lose, I was happy), then it was time to play the main game of the night: Bunko.

What is Bunko, you ask? It's a dice game, a very strange dice game. It's a favorite with the church, it's really fun. Basically there's fifteen rounds (or more depending on how much time you have and which version you're playing), and each round is a different number from 2 to 6. Round one is 2, round two is 3, etc. and when you get to 6, the next round is 2 again. There's a bunch of tables, and each table has four people and three dice. Each person at the table will roll all three dice, trying to get whatever number the round is (2 through 6). Whenever they get one, they score one and keep rolling, and whenever they don't get one they pass the dice. A Bunko is when all three dice are the number you're looking for, and it's worth 21 points. You can also get a three-of-a-kind, which is a three of a kind that isn't the number you're looking for or one. It's worth five points, but you have to pass the dice. If you roll three ones, then you get a wipeout, and all of your points for that round disappear and you have to start over again. It's a little confusing at first, but after that it gets really easy. The goal you have is to get to the high table, which is the highest possible table (go figure). Every time you win, you move up a table, and if you lose you stay where you were, unless you're at the high table, in which case you go aaaalllll the way back to the beginning and have to climb up. So after the fifteen rounds are over, you get prizes. Whoever has the most total points gets a prize, whoever has the most wins, whoever has the most losses (it's awesome to hear people fighting over that, "I was worse than you!" "No, I had the most losses!"), whoever has the most Bunkos, and whoever has the most wipeouts or the most three-of-a-kinds, whichever. It's really really fun.

I ended the game right smack-dab in the middle of everything, so I got no prizes :( AJ got the prize for most losses (*snicker*) with 11.

So there you have it, the house church game night 6/05. I already can't wait until July 1st, that's when the next one is (this was the first one I've been to, I was in a show when they started it so I had shows every Friday).

So when we got home, I came online for a few hours then went to bed, and slept in really late today (I say "today" because by the time I got up it wasn't morning anymore). Then I played my DS for a while, showered, ate, played my Gamecube for a while, then got my email and came here.

On to comments:

Stephen: Yeah . . . the Sun Crusher was cool, though. It made the battles kind of one-sided, but it was cool. But he certainly does like making Death Stars too much, yes.

1 Comments:

Blogger AJ Harbison said...

First of all: I don't think you can be in a "haze." A daze, or a trance, but not a haze. I don't think. Any other grammarians want to back me up or challenge me?
And hey. I have no problems being a loser. I got a whole box of Junior Mints out of it. And you got....? what? nothing...? :p

AJ
<><

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home