Tuesday, November 29, 2005

DT #2: Don't get stuck in a not-so-hot-spot.

First of all, I promise that a regular post will be coming soon. Hopefully by the end of this week. Now, let's jump into the DT:

With the Nintendo DS portable video game system going Wi-Fi, lots of talk about playing games with people across the globe has been around on the internet. However, more than anything else, one question sticks in my mind: Why Fi?

Wi-fi, Hi-fi, Sci-fi. To be perfectly honest, I'm only certain of the meaning of one of those (Sci-fi = Science Fiction). I think that Wi has something to do with wireless, but I have no idea what Hi means. Something with a TV, I think.

I think it's pretty safe to say that the “fi” in Wi-fi and Hi-fi does not stand for “fiction.” Now, probably, computer-literate people know what Wi-fi stands for. But I don't. And I'm sure that there are many people in the United States of America who are just like me in that respect.

Of course, pretty much all it would take would be going to Google and typing in “wi-fi” to find out. But that would be the reasonable way to do it, and since when have I done the reasonable thing? Instead, I call my brothers-in-ignorance to join me in my crusade to get a better meaning, to rally behind my banner desiring a clearer path, and to stand up for the slogan: “Why Fi?”

Using “fi” will cause confusion among the readers who are confused. “Fi,” they will say, “Fiction.” Much as I touched upon in the beginning of this post. They will then look at the first part of it. “Wi,” they will say, “uh . . . wireless? Yes, wireless. Wireless fiction.”

Which really isn't so bad an idea . . . just imagine being able call up the great works of fiction on your laptop or mobile phone. The power of a library . . . in the palm of your hand.

But that's an entirely different ballgame, because the fact is that Wi-fi, whatever it does stand for, does NOT stand for Wireless Fiction.

Also, among the younger members of our nation, there may be some confusion about the “Wi” part of it. If they can't QUITE read yet, they might read it as “why fi,” my slogan for reform. Which may lead this poor, impressionable young child to believe that the Nintendo DS has gone activist, has gone anti-fi. And they shall quickly run to their mothers, shouting, “Mommy! Mommy! What's fi? Is it bad?”

Naturally, their mothers will probably have no idea what they're talking about. “Fye?” they will say, “Like, Fe Fye Fo Fum?” Child: “I - I don't know, mommy, but my Nintendo Power says that the DS says 'why fi?'” If the mother is not overly computer-literate, they will probably not immediately identify “Wi-fi.” “Hang on, Billy,” says Mom, “Let me call your brother and ask him.”

The mother might not be computer-literate, but she's not dumb. She knows that if it has to do with Nintendo, probably a teenager would know more about it than she or her husband. So she calls up 15-year-old Joey, who is at school: “Joey? Hi, this is Mom . . . Billy came across a term in his video game magazine, and I'm not sure what it means. Fi . . . you know anything about Fi?” “Fi? As in, Wi-fi?” “Yeah.” “Uh . . . I think it has something to do with playing online.”

And this, dear readers, is the tragic conversation that is brought about by the term Wi-fi. A new age is dawning! A new time has come! We must stand united, united for peace, justice, liberty, and clarity! GIVE US A NEW SITHIN' ABBREVIATION FOR WIRELESS PLAY!

WP would be fine. Wi-P. Wi-Pl. Still want it to rhyme? Then use the best of all: Wl-Pl. Because, then, see you get WireLess PLay. Which is cooler, to me.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the time has come to end the tyranny. To end the confusion. To shine the light upon this dark age. We must all take a stand, we must be true. We must support Wl-Pl. We must start an e-mail chainletter saying “Sign this petition supporting Wl-Pl instead of Wi-Fi, or you shall have bad luck in your love life until you're 77!! Because, believe it or not, we control your love life! GWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!”

Why Fi? Heck if I know.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think hi-fi is high fidelity. I don't see how fidelety applies to electronics though. I thought they were incapable in infidelity.

Of course, that brings Wi-fi to a whole new level. Wireless fidelity? Does fidelity usually involve wires? I'm kinda scared now...

Why fi?

4:28 PM  
Blogger AJ Harbison said...

I love DTs! Why aren't there more of them?!

You know, I might just have an answer to "Why fi?" You know the Marines' slogan? "Semper Fi." That, dear brother, is Latin--the coolest language in history, incidentally. In that case, "Fi" means loyal or loyalty, depending on the conjugation or declension or formulation of the word (take your pick). So "Why Fi?" = "Why be loyal?"

Hopefully the answer to that will be obvious.

AJ
<><

P.S. QED, suckas!

P.P.S. QED is Latin too.

P.P.P.S. Prize and ultimate props to whoever can comment first and give me the correct phrase that QED stands for!

P.P.P.P.S. No fair looking it up on the internet!

11:36 PM  
Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

Fortunatly for that little boy, I would be that mom figure that would know that Wi-Fi was purly a marketing decision and does not stand for anything, just a means to allow the non computer savvy people to identify with the... IEEE (some number in the eight hundreds) and it does not infact stand for wireless fidelity... however, the question still stands, because, even the WiFi Alliance now claim that Fi= Fidelity. I assume this is ANOTHER marketing ploy, where companies allow the consumer to define their product "we have what you want, what ever you want is what we have... we dont have that, but we will call it that... because we have everything you want"
The funny thing is the WiFi Alliance has "Why Wi-Fi" under their "About WiFi" section. So, Why Wi-Fi? because "Wi-Fi is Freedom" and thats all you need to know.

P.S. I knew that it didnt mean anything... but you probably wouldnt believe me, so i checked. and im right... even though they tell you otherwise ..::glare::.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Darth_Harbison said...

AJ: it stands for "It is proven," I believe. Granted, you probably wanted the Latin phrase, but . . . you didn't specify. So I should get the price :-)

And I know that I normally don't comment on my own blog, but . . . how could I pass up ultimate props? :-P

2:45 PM  
Blogger AJ Harbison said...

Dude, that SOOOOOO doesn't count. First of all, it doesn't mean literally "It is proven." Second of all, yeah, I meant LATIN. English sucks. Latin rocks. So no ultimate props and no prize for you--better luck next time! :p

AJ
<><

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sing-songy voice*

sing a song of sixpence, and pocket full of rye...
...four and twenty teenagers comtemplating fi....

9:22 AM  
Blogger AJ Harbison said...

Aww... nobody cares about Latin! ::sheds many terribly tragic tears::

AJ
<><

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well i'd go online, but that gets no ultimate props, so forget that. and, i'm sorry AJ, i really don't feel like going to the library in order to get the prize.


although that WOULD be pretty impressive.



oh mark,
you had BETTER include a whole bunch about the dance recital in your next blog! because it was probably the best one we've ever had! and hurry up with that thing!

=)

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home